This is a stunning, gluten free biscuit recipe which can be adapted really easily if you fancy an orange version. Simply change out the dark chocolate for our orange dark and replace the almond extract with an orange essence (and the rum for brandy). Easy, and incredibly tasty, they are a lovely light biscuit to enjoy.
MAKES APPROX. 30 COOKIES // TIME: 1 HOUR 30 MINUTES // EASY
Chocolate & Almond Crinkle Cookies Ingredients:
- 250g Classic Dark Chocolate
- 45g Butter
- 2 Large Eggs
- 75g Caster Sugar
- 2tbsp Rum
- 1tsp Almond Extract
- 150g Ground Almonds
- 75g Medium Ground Polenta
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- 50g Granulated Sugar
- 50g Icing Sugar
Chocolate & Almond Crinkle Cookies Method:
- Preheat the oven to 160 or 140 fan.
- Pop the chocolate and butter into a microwave proof bowl and melt in short blasts, taking care not to allow it to burn; stir, and leave to one side.
- In another bowl mix the polenta, ground almonds, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Take the eggs and sugar in a heat proof bowl, and over a pan of simmering water, whisk with an electric whisk until light, thick, and creamy. Take off the heat, and whisk in the melted chocolate, rum, and almond extract until just mixed. Be really careful not to over do this, as the biscuits will become heavy if you do.
- Add the dry mix of the polenta, almonds, and baking powder to the chocolate and egg, and stir until mixed well. Leave for 10-15 minutes so that the dough becomes a little firmer to work with.
- In two bowls, have the granulated sugar and the icing sugar ready, and roll the dough into small 2cm balls. Roll each ball in the granulated sugar, then the icing sugar, and place on a lined baking tray.
- Keep on rolling until all the dough is done and on the trays with approx 3cm between each. Press each ball down gently, and bake in the pre heated oven until just browning and slightly cracking. Leave to cool on the trays, serve and enjoy.