This month’s #FlavourFocus is our beautiful Lime & Lavender Milk Chocolate; a creamy chocolate bar infused with a zingy lime flavour, and subtle floral hints of lavender. We decided to create a simple but wonderful shortbread recipe using these delightful flavours; perfect with our classic chocolate mousse!
Lime & Lavender Shortbread
MAKES 12-14 // TIME: 45 MINUTES (30 MINUTE SETTING TIME) // EASY
- 115g Unsalted Butter
- 50g Caster Sugar
- 175g Plain Flour
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 tsp Lavender Flavouring
- 1 Bar Lime & Lavender Milk Chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C Fan, Gas Mark 4). Line a large baking tray with baking parchment.
- In a bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until soft and creamy. Add the flour, salt, Vanilla Extract and Chocolate and stir into the creamed butter and sugar until the mixture forms a firm dough. I used a food processor here, as the shortbread was very short, and the processor also chopped the chocolate very finely which gave a consistent fine chocolate speckle and flavour throughout the shortbread (rather than just individual chips).
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently until smooth. Roll out to a thickness of 1cm. I used a 6.5cm flower cutter and cut out approx 14 rounds, re-rolling as needed (obviously you can use any shape cutter!).
- Arrange on the baking tray, spaced slightly apart. Prick the tops with a fork and chill for 30 minutes, which solidifies the butter in the dough – and as the cookies bake, the butter melts more slowly, which is why the refrigerated cookies don’t spread as much in the oven.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until lightly golden. Cool for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Chocolate Mousse Pots
MAKES 6 SMALL POTS // TIME: 15 MINUTES (2 HOURS SETTING TIME) // EASY
- 2 Bars Dark Chocolate
- 120ml Water
- 3 Large Eggs (Separated)
- 50g Caster Sugar
This is a James Martin recipe, simple and easy with so few ingredients it’s a great last minute dessert.
- If I was to make this recipe correctly I would tell you to place the chocolate and 120ml of water in a large heatproof bowl set over a pan of just simmering water – however, life is too short to do it that way, so I pop it all into a heatproof dish and into the microwave it goes, for 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each 30 seconds until the chocolate is melted.
- Leave to cool slightly, then stir in the egg yolks with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form, add the sugar, mix again and gently fold into the chocolate mixture.
- Spoon the mousse into individual dishes and chill for at least 2-3 hours.
- Serve with softly whipped cream, if desired.
We would love to know what you think of this recipe – so be sure to give us your comments on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter! If you want to know some really interesting facts about Lime & Lavender, head over to our blog post here.