When sharing this with friends and work colleagues, they could not believe that this chocolate cake was vegan! And when they found out the special ingredient was avocado, they were speechless and couldn’t quite understand how it tasted so good! This cake was the third vegan dessert that we had a go at, so this was of baking was still very new to us – and we weren’t actually 100% sold on the idea until we had tasted it. It could quite possibly be the best chocolate cake ever – moist, fudgy and not too rich.
You will need a blender for this recipe, but it’s so worth it! It’s really easy to make and you could customise with all sorts of flavours – why not try using our dark coffee chocolate with some added walnuts on top? The world is your oyster!
One key part to this vegan chocolate cake recipe is sieving the avocado and margarine mixture, as you don’t want any big chunks of avo floating in your chocolate cake!
MAKES 1 CAKE // TIME: 1 HOUR 45 MINUTES // EASY
Vegan Dark Chocolate Cake Ingredients:
For the cake:
- 150g Ripe Avocado
- 290g Light Brown Soft Sugar
- 350g Plain Flour
- 50g Cocoa Powder
- 1tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 2tsp Baking Powder
- 410ml Sweetened Soya Milk
- 150ml Vegetable Oil
- 1tbsp Vanilla Extract
- Small amount of Dairy Free Margarine for greasing
For the frosting:
- 75g Ripe Avocado
- 85g Dairy Free Margarine
- 180g Dark Chocolate (2 Bars)
- 25g Cocoa Powder
- 120ml Sweetened Soya Milk
- 180g Icing Sugar
- 1tsp Vanilla Extract
Vegan Dark Chocolate Cake Method:
- To make your cake, first start by lining a deep 20cm loose base cake tin, and greasing the sides.
- Then, put the avocado and sugar into a blender – blitz until smooth and combined.
- When ready, add in the remaining cake ingredients – you might need to do this bit by bit so your blender doesn’t overload! Blitz again until a beautiful batter is formed.
- When ready, pour into your cake tin, and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for around 40-50 minutes (to check it’s ready, use a knife to poke through the centre of the cake – if it comes out clean, it’s ready).
- Whilst your cake is cooking, make your frosting. Start by mashing the avocado in a bowl. Then add in the margarine, and stir to combine. When ready, pass the mixture through a sieve to remove any lumps.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave in short bursts and then set to one side.
- Add the cocoa powder and soya milk to a mixing bowl. Combine using a whisk, and then add in the avocado mixture, dark chocolate, icing sugar and vanilla extract. Mix until your chocolate frosting forms (at first this will be runny, then all of a sudden it will thicken into a frosting-type thickness).
- When your cake is baked, allow to cool, then slice into two halves (we used a wire cake slicer to do this). Then, use a spatula to spread the frosting in between the two layers and on top! You can then decorate with whatever vegan treats you like – maybe you’ll add some dark chocolate buttons?