This All chopping and mixing here is done effortlessly in a food processor, so once everything is measured out – it’s a doddle! A very moist brownie-like sponge that is not too sweet!
Chocolatey fudgy nutty cake ingredients:
For the sponge you will need:
- 100g pecan halves
- 100g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- 75g dark chocolate – (70% cocoa solids) broken up (2 of our dark chocolate bars)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 200g light brown muscovado sugar
- 100ml hot black coffee
- 2 large free-range eggs, at room temp, beaten
- 175g unsalted butter softened and cut into pieces
- 125ml sour cream
For the Icing you will need:
- 75g dark chocolate – (70% cocoa solids), broken up
- 25g unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons black coffee
- 1 traybake tin or cake tin, greased and the base lined with greased paper
Chocolatey fudgy, nutty cake method:
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/325°F/gas mark 3
- Assemble the pecans at the base of the prepared tin, pressing them onto the greased paper.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and bicarbonate of soda and pop aside til later. Put the chocolate in the food processor with the cocoa and 100g of the sugar – process until the mixtures goes sandy textured. With the machine running, pour in the hot coffee in and let it whizz until the chocolate has melted! Make sure you keep scrape down the bowl before you add anything, we want a rich even batter!
- Add the eggs and the rest of the sugar and whizz for 30 seconds, SCRAPE, add the butter and run the machine for another minute, SCRAPE, add the sour cream and flour mixture and process until the mixture is smooth!
- Spoon the mixture into the tin on top of your pecans. Bake for 45 mins – remember the skewer test! The top will have a crust but will be only just firm.
- Remove from oven, run a round-bladed knife around the inside of the tin to loosen the sponge, then leave it to cool completely in the tin. When cold, pop a board on top and invert the cake, lift of the lining paper so the nutty base is not the cake’s top surface!
- To make the icing put the chocolate into a small pan with the butter, icing sugar and coffee. Set on a low heat and stir until smooth. Remove and leave until thick enough to spread. Cover the top of the cake with icing and leave it to set before cutting – perfect treat with a cup of our luxurious hot chocolate.
Remember, you can use any of our our delicious flavoured bars for this recipe.