A delicious after dinner meal, our chocolate & strawberry roulade is made using a few simple ingredients and can be made in just under an hour. I hope you enjoy the recipe, let us know how you get on.
Chocolate & Strawberry Roulade Ingredients:
- 75g of Classic Dark Chocolate
- 175g Caster Sugar
- 6 Large Eggs, Separated
- 2 tbsp Cocoa Powder, Sifted
- 450ml/15fl oz Double Cream
- Icing Sugar, Sifted
- Punnet of fresh strawberries
- Cocoa powder to dust
Chocolate & Strawberry Roulade Method:
- Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Lightly grease a 33cm x 23cm Swiss roll tin and line with non-stick baking parchment, pushing it into the corners.
- Chop the chocolate into small pieces, place into a heatproof bowl and pop in the microwave. Heat in short bursts of 20 seconds, stirring in between until melted, and leave to cool ever so slightly.
- Whisk the sugar and egg yolks in a large bowl until light and creamy, and leaves a ribbon like trail when you lift out the whisk. Add the cooled chocolate, and stir until evenly blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff, and stir a large spoonful of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Mix gently, then fold in the remaining egg whites and the sieved cocoa powder. Spread evenly in the prepared tin. Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 20 minutes until firm.
- Remove the cake from the oven, leave in the tin, cover with a dry tea towel and leave until cooled.
- Dust a large piece of greaseproof paper with sifted cocoa powder. Turn out the roulade onto the greaseproof and peel off the paper.
- Whip the fresh cream into soft peaks, and in a separate bowl using a hand blender, blend the strawberries into a thick pulp.
- Spread the cream over the sponge roll, adding random dollops of strawberry pulp on top across the top, and then using the edges of the grease proof paper, roll the roulade so it is one large swiss roll.
- Trim off the ends, and re dust with more cocoa powder to serve.